Sunday, August 07, 2005

Baby Steps



Every bike at the factory starts as a spec sheet, a geometry, and a box of tubes... which looks like this.

The spec sheet and geo was assembled through deliberation with Marc. This bike would be a classic road racing bike.

I was talked into a stainless steel crown for my fork... but I wasn't looking for stainless on this bike.

Once armed with my spec sheet and geometry (which will create a shorter bike than my current baby) I ran out to the floor to start carving lugs.

Initially, they were fairly bulky and blank. We slimmed them down using grinders and files. But when we finished, the head tube bands were obviously too bulky for the rest of the lug.



EJ asked if he could take them for a day or two and try something... to offset the frame a little. I said, sure. I don't like perfect symmetry.

When EJ came in on torch day, this is what I saw:



Beautiful. He took a hacksaw and cut slices into the lug and curled up the tips of the slices.

When assembled on the headtube, the offset is on the same side (right). It will pull the headbadge to the left, visually.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home